Citizenship / PSHE
ICE at Baysgarth stands for Identity, Culture and Ethics. It introduces students to ideas, concepts and information which is not always covered in their subject lessons.
- Identity is information which has a direct link to you, for example, healthy lifestyle.
- Culture looks at the places where we live and the people we interact with and why we do certain things.
- Ethics is to do with right and wrong e.g. bullying.
We study ICE so that we have a better understanding of the world around us. It allows students to develop the knowledge, skills and conviction to use effectively throughout all parts of their lives.
In 2020/21, the values of ICE will be delivered through timetabled Citizenship/PSHE lessons.
The following topics are studied during Citizenship/PSHE sessions:
- Health Lifestyle
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Sustainable development
Two main aspects of ICE are British Values and PREVENT. There are five main British Values:
- The rule of law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual Respect
- Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
PREVENT is about protecting people and communities from the threat of terrorism. PREVENT has been introduced by the British Government to try to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism.
You can download the Schemes of Learning for Citizenship/PSHE lessons for Year 7, 8, 9 and 10 classes, below.
- Year 7 Identity, Culture & Ethics Curriculum (58.98 KB)
- Year 8 Identity, Culture & Ethics Curriculum (59.2 KB)
- Year 9 Identity, Culture & Ethics Curriculum (60.29 KB)
- Year 10 Identity, Culture & Ethics Curriculum (61.29 KB)
- Year 11 Identity, Culture & Ethics Curriculum (53.81 KB)
Topics selected have been chosen based on the needs of the students and conversations that have developed recently due to particular news issues. Each lesson will approach topics sensitively and age appropriately.
Year 7 & Year 8
- Identity: Consent and setting boundaries
- Ethics: Sexual harrassment (age appropriate)
Year 9 & 10
- Identity: Fake news
- Ethics: Zara McDermott documentary around 'Revenge Porn'
Should you have any concerns or questions, please contact Miss Burrows at the school.