Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content


Last updated 8:54pm on Friday 22nd May 2020


This page has been created to provide parents and carers with information about Coronavirus (COVID-19). This page will be updated regularly in line with advice and guidance from the government.

Watch the regional update from Penny Spring here!

If you are concerned about the health of yourself or a family member, please call 111 or visit the NHS 111 Website.

National Guidance

Guidance for Educational Settings (Parents and Carers - updated)

Public Health England

Local Health Protection Teams

Symptoms in Children

Children and Covid-19

NHS Guidance

Frequently Asked Questions

School Information & Guidance

Where can I access support?

  • Children’s Services Duty 01724 296500 (out of hours 01724 296555)
  • Humberside Police 101 or 999 in an emergency
  • Missing People Charity 116000
  • Childline 0800 1111
  • Samaritans 116123

Mental Health Support

Domestic Abuse Support

Addiction Support



There is also support available at your local Children’s centre for a range of issues. They also have localised networks of support that you can access


How and where do I collect food parcels from?

Families eligible for FSM can collect a weekly food parcel from the school on a Tuesday of each week between 11am and 1pm. Parents and carers who wish to request a food parcel should email to do so. We will then contact families to confirm this.

We will issue an update regarding the Edenred voucher scheme once we have confirmed details from the company.

Please bear with us during these unprecedented times as we aim to support all our families the best we can. You can see an example of what is contained in the food parcels using the link below...

Chartwells Hamper Letter Sec

You can also access Chartwells' YouTube page for inspiration here!


Download a guide to some delicious recipes to cook at home below:

Download here!

Who is monitoring the developments around Coronavirus (COVID-19) at Baysgarth?

Baysagrth School have been monitoring the situation since the news first broke and we continue to be guided by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), Public Health England (PHE) and the Department for Education (DfE) advice and guidance.

Our Senior Leadership Team meets each day to review protocols in place and ensure these align with the latest government advice.

What precautions is Baysgarth School taking to prevent the spread of the COVID-19?

We are monitoring PHE guidelines about the prevention and spread of COVID-19.

Currently there are no additional measures specified by PHE, however, we have revised all our cleaning staff to wipe down key surfaces more frequently.

Importantly, we are also regularly reminding children how to wash their hands thoroughly and have displayed NHS guidance in key areas around the school site.

What will happen while a member of the Baysgarth School community is being tested for the COVID-19?

PHE and the DfE have now released guidance to educational settings about COVID-19.

In accordance with this advice, no special control measures or restrictions are required if anyone has been in contact with a suspected case of COVID-19 in an educational setting until test results are known. The NHS is testing a large number of individuals who have travelled back from affected countries as a precautionary measure. The vast majority of these tests have been negative.

If a suspected case is confirmed to be COVID-19, PHE will contact the school to discuss the case, carry out a risk assessment and advise on the actions or precautions that should be taken to ensure the continued safety and health of our community.

Someone in our household has COVID-19; can my child still come to school?

No. If a member of your household presents with a new, persistent cough or a high temperature, they must self-isolate for 14 days, along with all other residents in the house.

If a suspected case is confirmed to be COVID-19, PHE will contact the school to discuss the case, carry out a risk assessment and advise on the actions or precautions that should be taken to ensure the continued safety and health of our community.

What work should my child(ren) complete if they are off school due to self-isolation?

Students in Year 7 & 8 are to continue with their Flipped Learning projects. Key Stage 4 students should have work to complete; they can also contact their usual class teacher via email.

We will also share further details about online resources in due course.

If the school was to close, when would parents and students be informed and how?

Parents and students will be informed as soon as possible by the Head Teacher in the event of school closure (partial or full). This will be via a number of methods, including email, text message, mobile app, social media and an announcement on the school website.

Should a decision be necessary regarding any future closure of the school, we are also working hard to ensure that students would be able to access lessons and resources remotely through online platform, Google Classrooms.

The school may also provide workbooks and activities for students to complete at home.

Is the school staying open and should students continue to attend?

Baysgarth School is remaining open as per the government's directive. However, we expect to see significant disruption over the coming days. The new rules on self-isolating for whole households for 14 days if one member of that household has a persistent cough will have a big impact on our staff.

This will escalate quickly and we expect that at some point in the next few days we will have to start a phased closure, as we will not have enough staff to deliver lessons. This will begin with Year 7 and Year 8 being asked to stay at home and could continue up through the school. We will stay open for as long as possible for our Year 11 students to give them as much support as they approach their exams - they will be our priority. I apologise in advance if we cannot give you much notice about when this phased closure might begin, as it will depend completely on which staff are in school.

Will GCSEs still go ahead this year?

Latest statement from Department for Education on 9th March 2020 stated:

"Ofqual’s advice at this time is to continue to prepare for exams and other assessments as normal. Ofqual continues to work closely with exam boards, other regulators and the Department for Education to plan for a range of scenarios, as the public would expect. Our overriding priorities are fairness to students this summer and keeping disruption to a minimum. It is still many weeks until exams start and we will issue updated advice if necessary, giving schools and colleges as much notice as possible."

General Information & Guidance

Where do I get the latest information about COVID-19?

This is a rapidly evolving situation and latest updates can be found on the website here

What is COVID-19 and should I be concerned?

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that include the common cold and other viruses, such as SARS and MERS. A novel Coronavirus, identified as COVID-19, is a new strain not previously identified in humans and that is the type we are currently monitoring.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has been working with Chinese authorities and global experts to learn more about the virus, how it affects the people, how they can be treated and what countries can do to respond.

Typical symptoms of COVID-19 include fever and a cough that may progress to a severe pneumonia, causing shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.

Generally, COVID-19 can cause more severe symptoms in people with weakened immune systems, older people, and those with long term conditions like diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease.

It is important to balance the need to take sensible precautions and plan for a possible increase in the outbreak, yet not to cause panic. At present there is no significant community spread of the disease. Nevertheless it is prudent to ensure our practices and plans are in place should the outbreak get worse.

How does this new Coronavirus spread?

Because it's a new illness, we do not know exactly how it spreads from person to person, but similar viruses spread by cough droplets or sneeze droplets. These droplets fall on people in the vicinity and can be directly inhaled or picked up on the hands and transferred when someone touches their face.

How long any respiratory virus survives will depend on a number of factors; for example:

  • what surface the virus is on
  • whether it is exposed to sunlight
  • differences in temperature and humidity
  • exposure to cleaning products

Under most circumstances, the amount of infectious virus on any contaminated surfaces is likely to have decreased significantly after 24 hours, and even more so after 48 hours.

You can find more information around the symptoms of COVID-19 here

Am I more vulnerable to COVID-19 due to an underlying condition?

Latest guidance have identified the following groups as vulnerable:

  • aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
  • under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (i.e. anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):

1. chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis

2. chronic heart disease, such as heart failure

3. chronic kidney disease

4. chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis

5. chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy

6. diabetes

7. problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed

8. a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy

9. being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)

  • those who are pregnant

How can I protect myself and my child(ren) from infection?

Standard recommendations to prevent infection spread include regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, and thoroughly cooking meat and eggs. Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness, such as coughing and sneezing. For more on the latest advice, check the NHS or World Health Organisation websites.

The recommended steps people should take to protect themselves are the same as those to avoid flu and any other similar respiratory infections. You should maintain good hand, respiratory and personal hygiene and should avoid visiting animal and bird markets or people who are ill with respiratory symptoms.

Below are the World Health Organisation recommendations:

  • Clean hands with soap and water or alcohol based rub.
  • Cover nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with a tissue or a flexed elbow. Ensure you dispose of tissues hygienically.
  • Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
  • Avoid unprotected contact with live or dead wild or farm animals.

Click here for an NHS guidance video on hand washing for adults

Click here for an NHS guidance video on hand washing for children

Should people wear face masks to protect themselves from infection?

Face masks play a very important role in clinical settings, such as hospitals but there’s very little evidence of widespread benefit from their use outside of these. Face masks must be worn correctly, changed frequently, removed properly and disposed of safely in order to be effective.

The best way to protect ourselves from infections like COVID-19 is to wash our hands frequently with soap and water or use a sanitiser gel, as well as always carrying tissues and using them to catch coughs and sneezes, then putting the tissue in a bin.

If my child has recently returned from overseas, do I need to do anything?

Please check the UK Government's list of specified countries and areas.

If you have travelled to the UK from any of the areas listed in Category 1, you should immediately self-isolate, stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu. This advice applies even if you do not have any symptoms.

You should contact NHS 111 and inform them of your recent travel.

Please contact the school as soon as possible by phone or email. Do not come to the school.

If you have travelled to the UK from any of the following areas listed in Category 2 in the last 14 days and are experiencing a cough, fever, shortness of breath or flu-like symptoms, you should self-isolate and call NHS 111.

Please contact the school as soon as possible by phone or email. Do not come to the school.

If you do not have any symptoms, there is no need to take any action.

I think that I/my child(ren) may have come into contact with someone who has COVID-19; what should I do?

NHS staff are working to contact anyone who has been in close contact with people who have COVID-19.

If you think that you or your child(ren) has been in close contact with someone with confirmed COVID-19, use the NHS 111 online Coronavirus service to find out what you should do. Do not go to your GP or A&E.

How do I self-isolate myself or my child(ren)?

Click here to view the UK Government's guidance on how to self-isolate

If you self-isolate, you need to stay indoors and avoid contact with other people for 14 days.

It is important to follow the NHS advice for the whole period, even if you do not have any symptoms. Click here to view PHE guidance on self-isolation.

What should I do when the self-isolation period ends?

If you have been symptomatic, then you may end your self-isolation after seven days. The seven-day period starts from the day when you first became ill.

If living with others, then all household members who remain well may end household-isolation after 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day illness began in the first person to become ill. 14 days is the incubation period for COVID-19; people who remain well after 14 days are unlikely to be infectious.

After seven days, if the first person to become ill feels better and no longer has a high temperature, they can return to their normal routine. If any other family members become unwell during the 14-day household-isolation period, they should follow the same advice; i.e. after seven days of their symptoms starting, if they feel better and no longer have a high temperature, they can also return to their normal routine.

Should a household member develop COVID-19 symptoms late in the 14-day household-isolation period (e.g. on day 13 or day 14) the isolation period does not need to be extended, but the person with the new symptoms has to stay at home for seven days. The 14-day household-isolation period will have greatly reduced the overall amount of infection the rest of the household could pass on, and it is not necessary to re-start 14 days of isolation for the whole household. This will have provided a high level of community protection. Further isolation of members of this household will provide very little additional community protection.

At the end of the 14-day period, any family member who has not become unwell can leave household isolation.

If any ill person in the household has not had any signs of improvement and have not already sought medical advice, they should contact NHS 111 online. If your home has no internet access, you should call NHS 111.

The cough may persist for several weeks in some people, despite the COVID-19 infection having cleared. A persistent cough alone does not mean someone must continue to self-isolate for more than seven days.

What is the advice on travel to and from areas impacted by COVID-19?

The FCO advise against all travel to Hubei Province due to the outbreak. The FCO advises against all but essential travel to the rest of mainland China (not including Hong Kong and Macao).

Find out more by clicking here.

The FCO also advises against all but essential travel to Daegu and Cheongdo in South Korea and ten small towns in the Lombardy region (Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano) and one in the Veneto region (Vo’ Euganeo) of Italy, due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

Where can I get support if I have concerns about my health or the health of my child?

If you or your child develop symptoms, stay indoors and avoid contact with others where possible. Medical support is available through your GP, or by calling NHS 111.

If you or your child may have had contact with someone who has COVID-19 or has any symptoms, you should either phone your doctor's surgery or call NHS 111. Do not attend the doctor's surgery without phoning them first and explaining the situation.

You can find your nearest GP by using the GP finder on the NHS website, or read information about healthcare in the UK, including how to register with a doctor.

If you are still concerned, the DfE is operating a special hotline for parents and carers, staff and young people, to answer questions about COVID-19 that relate to education, which you can contact as follows:


Opening hours: 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday)

Download our Baysgarth School Piota App

Apple App Store Google Play

Get in touch

Baysgarth School
Barrow Road
Barton Upon Humber, North Lincolnshire DN18 6AE

01652 632576

Useful Information